Sunday, December 25, 2005

Every family has its own set of idiosyncracies. These sometimes lovingly turn into "traditions" with time.

My most vivid childhood Christmas memory is that of waking up early that morning, rushing over to the room next door where my parents slept and asking to open presents. At the time, we weren't able to afford a Christmas tree, so my parents had hid our presents in their bedroom closet. I distinctly remember that the presents weren't wrapped, but it didn't matter, I was thrilled to have Christmas just like every other kid on the building.

It was a Barbie, the only Barbie doll that I have ever owned to this day. Dressed in a blinding, hot pink polyester dress and matching pink heels, Barbie was accompanied by a fantasticly purple salon chair and a device to braid her hair. I don't remember the doll's name anymore, but I spent endless hours that day and many days after that twisting, braiding, and restyling her silken blond hair.

******

This year I relax and nurse my stomach overly full from Taiwanese dimsum. Barely 1pm in the afternoon and I've already caught the 10:30am showing of the latest Harry Potter flick, had lunch, and made a trip to the bakery. Even on Christmas day, the Chinese community does not rest. Families bustle about making the most of the empty roads and squeezing in an opportunity to gather and EAT! Every table is packed, some boasting 3 generations of children, parents, and grandparents all making Christmas their own unique family experience.

Even the slow rain outside can't dim such a warm and wholesome celebration. Who says you have to have a Christmas tree?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home